How to find the Roman Catholic Shrine
Walsingham is approached by road from the West (King's Lynn), the South (Swaffham) or the East (Norwich) and is five miles from Fakenham. The Roman Catholic Shrine is 1.3 miles south of Walsingham, in a hamlet called Houghton St. Giles.
If you are starting your visit at the Shrine you do not need to go into Walsingham.
(If you are using GPS / sat nav – see below).
From King's Lynn
- Follow the A148 to Fakenham (approximately 17 miles).
- At roundabout just before Fakenham turn left, then left again after 300 yards on to the B1105 which is signposted Walsingham.
- Follow the A1067 towards Fakenham.
- Turn right at the first roundabout, straight on at the next roundabout (Morrison's), and then left at the third roundabout onto by-pass (A148).
- After about one mile turn right on to B1105 to Walsingham.
From London and the South
- Leave the M11 at Junction 9 (Newmarket, Norwich).
- Take the A11 towards Newmarket, this then merges with the A14, after 6 miles follow the sign A11 (Thetford, Norwich).
- At Barton Mills roundabout continue on the A11 (3rd exit) for 11 miles following the signs for Swaffham (A134). At the 3rd roundabout, take the first exit for A134. After 6.5 miles at the roundabout in Mundford, take the 3rd exit (A1065 Swaffham).
- In Swaffham turn right at the mini roundabout through the Market Square sign posted Cromer, Fakenham A1065 (A148).
- By-pass Fakenham to the King’s Lynn-Fakenham road (A148).
- Cross over roundabout; turn left after 300 yards on to B1105, which is signposted Walsingham.
- Once you have turned onto the B1105 proceed for 0.5 mile, then turn left, road signposted B1105 Wells, Walsingham (avoiding width limits) and with Brown and White signs to Holkham Hall. Signs saying Roman Catholic Pilgrimage.
Preferred Coach/Car Route to the Shrine:
Carry on along this road for 3 miles, at a small crossroads in a dip, turn right (finger posted North Barsham). This cross roads is immediately after signs for "Roman Catholic Shrine, Slipper Chapel". "Roman Catholic Pilgrimage".
(At present there are no "council signs" to the Shrine from this road.)
You are now on a country lane (NR22 6AS), carry on for 1 mile – the road bends to the right (converted farm buildings immediately in front of you). Take the road to the left sign posted to the "Slipper Chapel and R.C. Shrine". The Shrine is 0.5 mile further on, on the right hand side.
The village Coach Park is accessed from the Shrine via the Holy Mile, turning left when you reach the outskirts of the village at the T-junction, and then turning left into the Coach Park at the signs. Please do not use the High Street if traveling in a private coach.
GPS / Sat Nav
If you are using gps/sat nav – some systems take you along roads close to the Shrine that are not suitable for motor vehicles – such as Grays Lane which has a deep ford. To use the recommended route to the Shrine, please use the postcode NR22 6AS – then follow the road signs. (NB This is not the Shrine's postcode but gives the best route).
Rail – the nearest rail stations are Norwich and King’s Lynn (c30 miles away)
NB National Express has cancelled its service to Fakenham. You can get to Norwich or King's Lynn which are both about 30 miles away. Online booking prior to day of travel is usually cheaper – check their website for details.
Taxis – Elite Travel (01328) 821812 or Tiny's Taxis (01328) 888888